Saturday, January 24, 2015

LP0016 - Cephalus - Ovid's Metamorphoses -

Legendary Passages #0016- Cephalus - Ovid's Metamorphoses -

Last time an Athenian ship arrived at Aegina, and King Aeacus told them the origins of the Myrmidons. This time Cephalus tells how he acquired his magic javelin, which never misses and returns to its owners hand.

Cephalus was married to Procris, the beautiful daughter of King Erechtheus of Athens. Now Cephalus loved to go hunting alone, and one day was abducted by the Auroroa, the goddess of radiant beauty. But he loved his wife and wished to go back to her. Auroroa agrees and disguises him, so that he can see if Procris was faithful to him.

When he gets home, it seems that everything is waiting for him, including his wife. He tempts her with a lavish gift for a mere kiss, and she hesitates. He reveals himself, and she flees, ashamed.

She has her own adventures, but eventually returns to him, and gives him the the unerring javelin and a dog Lelaps that catches whatever it chases.

Cephalus then tells the story of the Teumessian Fox or Cadmean Vixen that was terrorizing Thebes. It was so fast that it could never be caught. So, of course, he sent Lelaps. The dog that catches everything chasing the uncatchable fox created a paradox, so the gods turned both to stone.

Next time we shall hear the tragic end of Cephalus' tale, and the war with Minos begins in earnest.

http://www.theoi.com/Text/OvidMetamorphoses7.html#6

Cephelus,
a Legendary Passage,
from Ovid's Metamorphoses,
translated by Brookes More.

Book 7 [661] - [796]

As twilight fell, festivities were blended in the night- the night, in turn, afforded sweet repose. Soon as the golden Sun had shown his light, the east wind blowing still, the ships were stayed from sailing home.

The sons of Pallas came to Cephalus, who was the elder called; and Cephalus together with the sons of Pallas, went to see the king. Deep sleep still held the king; and Phocus who was son of Aeacus, received them at the gate, instead of Telamon and Peleus who were marshalling the men for war.

Into the inner court and beautiful apartments Phocus conducted the Athenians, and they sat down together. Phocus then observed that Cephalus held in his hand a curious javelin with golden head, and shaft of some rare wood.

And as they talked, he said; "It is my pleasure to explore the forest in the chase of startled game, and so I've learned the nature of rare woods, but never have I seen the match of this from which was fashioned this good javelin; it lacks the yellow tint of forest ash, it is not knotted like all corner-wood;  although I cannot name the kind of wood, my eyes have never seen a javelin-shaft so beautiful as this."

To him replied a friend of Cephalus; "But you will find its beauty is not equal to its worth, for whatsoever it is aimed against, its flight is always certain to the mark, nor is it subject to the shift of chance; and after it has struck, although no hand may cast it back, it certainly returns, bloodstained with every victim."

Then indeed, was Phocus anxious to be told, whence came and who had given such a precious gift. And Cephalus appeared to tell him all; but craftily was silent on one strange condition of the fatal gift. As he recalled the mournful fate of his dear wife, his eyes filled up with tears.

"Ah, pity me," he said, "If Fate should grant me many years, I must weep every time that I regard this weapon which has been my cause of tears; the unforgiven death of my dear wife- ah, would that I had never handled it! My sweet wife, Procris!- if you could compare her beauty with her sister's- Orithyia's, (ravished by the blustering Boreas) you would declare my wife more beautiful. 'Tis she her sire Erectheus joined to me, 'Tis she the god Love also joined to me. They called me happy, and in truth I was, and all pronounced us so until the Gods decreed it otherwise.

"Two joyful months of our united love were almost passed, when, as the grey light of the dawn dispelled, upon the summit of Hymettus green, Aurora, glorious in her golden robes, observed me busy with encircling nets, trapping the antlered deer. Against my will incited by desire, she carried me away with her. Oh, let me not increase her anger, for I tell you what is true, I found no comfort in her lovely face! And, though she is the very queen of light, and reigns upon the edge of shadowy space where she is nourished on rich nectar-wine, adding delight to beauty, I could give no heed to her entreaties, for the thought of my beloved Procris intervened; and only her sweet name was on my lips.

"I told Aurora of our wedding joys and all refreshing joys of love- and my first union of my couch deserted now: Enraged against me, then the goddess said: `Keep to your Procris, I but trouble you, ungrateful clown! but, if you can be warned, you will no longer wish for her!" And so, in anger, she returned me to my wife.

"Alas, as I retraced the weary way, long-brooding over all Aurora said, suspicion made me doubtful of my wife, so faithful and so fair.- But many things reminding me of steadfast virtue, I suppressed all doubts; until the dreadful thought of my long absence filled my jealous mind: from which I argued to the criminal advances of Aurora; for if she, so lovely in appearance, did conceal such passion in the garb of innocence until the moment of temptation, how could I be certain of the purity of even the strongest when the best are frail? So brooding- every effort I devised to cause my own undoing.

"By the means of bribing presents, favored by disguise, I sought to win her guarded chastity. Aurora had disguised me, and her guile determined me to work in subtle snares. Unknown to all my friends, I paced the streets of sacred Athens till I reached my home.

I hoped to search out evidence of guilt: but everything seemed waiting my return; and all the household breathed an air of grief. With difficulty I, disguised, obtained an entrance to her presence by the use of artifices many: and when I there saw her, silent in her grief,- amazed, my heart no longer prompted me to test such constant love. An infinite desire took hold upon me. I could scarce restrain an impulse to caress and kiss her. Pale with grief that I was gone, her lovely face in sorrow was more beautiful- the world has not another so divinely fair. Ah, Phocus, it is wonderful to think of beauty so surpassing fair it seems more lovable in sorrow!

"Why relate to you how often she repulsed my feigned attempts upon her virtue? To each plea she said: `I serve one man: no matter where he may be I will keep my love for one."

"Who but a man insane with jealousy, would doubt the virtue of a loving wife, when tempted by the most insidious wiles, whose hallowed honor was her husband's love? But I, not satisfied with proof complete, would not abandon my depraved desire to poison the pure fountain I should guard;- increasing my temptations, I caused her to hesitate, and covet a rich gift.

"Then, angered at my own success, I said, discarding all disguise, `Behold the man whose lavish promise has established proof, the witness of your shameful treachery; your absent husband has returned to this!"

"Unable to endure a ruined home, where desecration held her sin to view, despairing and in silent shame she fled; and I, the author of that wickedness ran after: but enraged at my deceit and hating all mankind, she wandered far in wildest mountains; hunting the wild game.

"I grieved at her desertion; and the fires of my neglected love consumed my health; with greater violence my love increased, until unable to endure such pain, I begged forgiveness and acknowledged fault: nor hesitated to declare that I might yield, the same way tempted, if such great gifts had been offered to me. When I had made abject confession and she had avenged her outraged feelings, she came back to me and we spent golden years in harmony.

"She gave to me the hound she fondly loved, the very one Diana gave to her when lovingly the goddess had declared, `This hound all others shall excel in speed." Nor was that gift the only one was given by kind Diana when my wife was hers, as you may guess- this javelin I hold forth, no other but a goddess could bestow. Would you be told the story of both gifts attend my words and you shall be amazed, for never such another sad event has added sorrow to the grieving world.

"After the son of Laius,- Oedipus,- had solved the riddle of the monster-sphinx, so often baffling to the wits of men, and after she had fallen from her hill, mangled, forgetful of her riddling craft; not unrevenged the mighty Themis brooked her loss. Without delay that goddess raised another savage beast to ravage Thebes, by which the farmer's cattle were devoured, the land was ruined and its people slain. Then all the valiant young men of the realm, with whom I also went, enclosed the field (where lurked the monster) in a mesh of many tangled nets: but not a strand could stay its onrush, and it leaped the crest of every barrier where the toils were set. Already they had urged their eager dogs, which swiftly as a bird it left behind, eluding all the hunters as it fled.

"At last all begged me to let slip the leash of straining Tempest; such I called the hound, my dear wife's present. As he tugged and pulled upon the tightened cords, I let them slip: no sooner done, then he was lost to sight; although, wherever struck his rapid feet the hot dust whirled. Not swifter flies the spear, nor whizzing bullet from the twisted sling, nor feathered arrow from the twanging bow!

"A high hill jutted from a rolling plain, on which I mounted to enjoy the sight of that unequalled chase. One moment caught, the next as surely free, the wild beast seemed now here now there, elusive in its flight; swiftly sped onward, or with sudden turn doubled in circles to deceive or gain. With equal speed pursuing at each turn, the rapid hound could neither gain nor lose. Now springing forward and now doubling back, his great speed foiled, he snapped at empty air.

"I then turned to my javelin's aid; and while I poised it in my right hand, turned away my gaze a moment as I sought to twine my practiced fingers in the guiding thongs; but when again I lifted up my eyes, to cast the javelin where the monster sped, I saw two marble statues standing there, transformed upon the plain.

"One statue seemed to strain in attitude of rapid flight, the other with wide-open jaws was changed, just in the act of barking and pursuit. Surely some God- if any god controls- decreed both equal, neither could succeed."

http://www.theoi.com/Text/OvidMetamorphoses7.html#6

No comments:

Post a Comment